Namibia is located between latitudes 17 degrees and 28 degrees south and longitudes 12 degrees and 21 degrees east,
with the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and an extension, the Caprivi Strip, in extreme
northeast which takes its longitude to just beyond 25 degrees east.
Divided into three broad zones:
Plateau consists of rugged mountains, rocky outcrops, sandy valleys and upland plains,
and has an average elevation of 1 100 metres above sea level, with mountain ranges
rising to over 2 440 metres towards centre of country.
- Namib Desert, extending along entire south Atlantic Ocean coastline, to west;
- Kalahari Desert to east; and,
- the Central Plateau, which covers over 50 per cent of land area.
Namibia's only perennial rivers are on its borders:
- the Orange River in south; and,
- the Kunene, Kavango, Zambezi and Kwando-Linyanti Rivers in north.
Name: Republic of Namibia
Status: UN Member
Capital City: Windhoek
Main Cities: Walvis Bay
Languages: Afrikaans, English, German
Land of the Brave
- Namibia land of the brave
Freedom fight we he won
Glory to their bravery
Whose blood waters our freedom
We give our love and loyalty
Together in unity
Contrasting beautiful Namibia
Namibia our country
Beloved land of savannahs
Hold high the banner of liberty
- Namibia our Country
We love thee
To view other countries, select your option from the pulldown menu below.