The main outdoor stadium, occupying the central and most prominent position
in the National Sports Complex, is designed to harmonize the best of
national and international architecture. It is located about 600 metres from
the Games Village.
The principal technical characteristic of the 100,000-capacity stadium is
the overlapping of the three spectator tiers. All functional and secondary
areas are accommodated on two levels below the main concourse. The design
incorporates a roof over the entire spectator seating areas.
An integral part of the design is that it allows a complete separation of
the crowds, the athletes, the VIPs, the press, and the administration. The
concourse level is the only distribution level, thus allowing easier
orientation. VIP areas are located adjacent to the main lobby.
Air-conditioned viewing galleries for VIPs are provided in accordance to
A. TRACK AND FIELD
- Playing field, 68 m x 105 m, with natural grass
- Nine-lane, 400 m tartan track with pit for steeplecase
- A ten-lane 100 m track
- Scoreboard (full-colour video matrix type)
- Lighting system for colour television broadcast
- Marathon and service gates
- Water jump hurdle
Track and Steeplechase
The track, laid in accordance to IAAF's specifications, comprises nine-lanes
of rekortan synthetic surface. The water-jump for steeplechase is laid on
the exterior of the nine-lane track.
Adjacent to the main stadium are two warm-up centres for warming up prior to
These centres are located to the south-east of the Main Stadium where entry
to the hold-up area is via a tunnel.
- National Sports Council track and jump centre
- National Sports Council throwing centre
In addition to the Main Stadium, the following training centres are also
- National Sports Council Track and Jump Centre (Eight-lane synthetic track)
- National Sports Council Throwing Centre (Synthetic runways surface)
- Maybank Sports Complex (Eight-lane synthetic track)
- Bank Simpanan Nasional Sports Complex (Eight-lane synthetic track)
The start and finish of both the marathons (men and women) will be based at
the Merdeka Square. This area was chosen for its unique environment and
space availability for the setting up of all necessary facilities.
The exact distance of 42,195 metres shall be measured and certified by two
IAAF road measurers. The whole course will be resurfaced.
Refreshment and sponging stations will also be provided in accordance to
C. WALKING EVENTS
All three walking events will be held at Lake Titiwangsa at Jalan Kuantan,
Kuala Lumpur. This lake is located approximately 18 km from the Games
Village. The 2.615 km circuit is fringed with flowers and greens.
The circuit will be measured and certified by IAAF road measurers. It will
also be re-surfaced.
Other Sports Venues
To view other sports venues, select your option from the pulldown menu below.